A Will is a document, conforming to the requirements of British Columbia law that contains directions for the disposal or distribution of a person’s assets after his or her death. Making a will is an important part of planning for your family’s future. If you die without a will, your property will be divided according to B.C. law, and the costs to administer your estate will increase. You’ll also be giving up the right to appoint the guardian of your choice for any children in your care.

To learn more, read:


A Wills Notice is a document that registers the location of your original will. You may choose a safety deposit box, you may have a secure location of important documents, or simply a top drawer somewhere, or other place. Upon a person’s death, a Search for Wills Notice can be done to determine where a person’s Will is.

A Will is not much good if it is so well hidden that no one can find it after a person’s death. We will ask you where you intend to keep your original will and we will file a Wills Notice on your behalf unless you specifically ask us not to.


A Power of Attorney is a document which allows a person (adult) to authorize another person (attorney) to sign documents and act on their behalf. A Power of Attorney used for financial arrangements such as buying/selling assets and signing tax returns and not for any health care decisions.

A Power of Attorney can be for a specific purpose and time period such as authorizing someone to sign documents to sell a house while you are out of town; or a Power of Attorney can be general in its scope and authorize a person to do anything that you could do. The Power of Attorney can be revoked at any time you choose. The Power of Attorney allows the attorney to make decisions and take actions when we become unable to act for ourselves.


This document has great value for anyone who:

  • wants to ensure that a trusted person would take care of bill paying,
  • correspondence and financial management in the event of incapacity or absence
  • may need assistance with their daily finances now or in the future
  • wants to avoid the very lengthy and expensive process of a court appointed committee should they suddenly become incapable
  • wants to avoid having the Public Guardian and Trustee take over his or her affairs

We’re ready to answer your questions

You can contact us at any time during or after the process with any questions you have.
Call: 250.861.4452


A Representation Agreement is a legal document for personal planning in British Columbia. It is a way to authorize your personal supporters to help you manage your affairs or make decisions on your behalf if you need assistance due to illness, injury or disability.

A Representation Agreement is the only way to authorize someone to assist you or to act on your behalf for health care and personal care matters. It can also cover routine financial affairs and legal matters.


An advanced directive is a legal document prepared and signed by a person in advance of a severe illness or injury, which will guide health care providers when providing health care and treatment. It may give instructions — i.e., state what treatment or care someone wants to receive or not receive if he or she becomes unable to make medical decisions (for example, because he/she is unconscious or in a coma). A health care directive is also used to plan in advance for situations where a person is no longer mentally capable of making her or his own health care decisions.

Some advance directives will identify a person (a proxy) who would be responsible for making treatment decisions on behalf of the person if she or he becomes mentally incapable.